Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Little Bit of History

Jon "Verl" Rees sent in this little history written by Julia herself:

A SHORT ITEM FROM THE LIFE OF JULIA PRISCILLA ROUNDY(REES)

This bit of history was given to Jon Verl and Norma Rees
By Julia Roundy(Rees)

CHILDHOOD

Father was in University Mother was working to support the family.
I milked cows, helped in the hay field, took cows back and forth 2
Miles to the pasture.

At about 14 or 15 years old Played the organ in Primary, at 14 we moved
To a new town, There had been a play called
“Come to my arms Priscilla”

The boys were mocking the play. Embarrassed me because of my name
Being Priscilla, I though they new and were teasing me.

PRAYERS

Had Typhoid fever at 18 could not move, only my feet from weakness. Bishop Tew
Told father to get the bishop, insisted on the bishop. On saying amen my whole
Body turned, I could feel a pair of unseen hands on my back.
I was able to turn slowly after that.

HOME CONDITIONS

Very religious family, had family payers twice a day, religiously went to church.
Economy mostly average, paid 100 percent tithing.

SCHOOL

Graduated from 8th grade, teacher, Robert Woodward set extra good example.


BAPTISM

By my father, in a canal, was a member of the Benson Ward, Benson, Cache.
Utah. Confirmed by my father same day at the ditch bank.

CHURCH ACTIVITY

Secretary of mutual, organist for primary.


OTHER ACTIVITIES

Horse and buggy, dances, gathered at homes once a week, shows
Once in awhile.

COURTSHIP

Went to school together, Benson, Utah, did not see each other to often.
Engaged 5 months, corresponded at times. Dad gave a gift on special
Occasions, even during school, always put were easy to find. He was
Always Johnny on the spot to help out.
Married March 26, 1913, Salt Lake Temple on my 20th birthday.

HUSBAND AND CHILDREN

Guy Leslie Rees born 14th July 1891, husband sick I had to do all kind
Of work (respectful) to earn living.
I had heart trouble and high blood pressure.
Guy Leslie born 15 Oct 1914 Benson, Utah, Max Eugene born 2 Oct 1918
Blackfoot, Idaho, Dean Roundy born 17 Nov 1923 Lehi, Utah
Jon Verl born 15 June, 1926 Lehi, Utah.

RECREATION

Dancing, and Social Development Club.

HOMES

Several, Fielding 18 years, Sold the farm and moved to Tremonton, Utah
Lived at 223rd Tremont Street. Moved to Tremonton in 1954.

TRIPS

2 to the Northwest, people shocked we did not drink coffee.
Also to Washington, Oregon, California, and Vancouver Canada
Had no identification, so had a hard time getting back.

No comments: